Can I get one?
You can apply for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card if you are claiming one of the following:
- Jobseekers Allowance: if you're aged 18-24 and have been unemployed for six to nine months.
- Jobseekers Allowance: if you're 25 or over and have been unemployed for six to 12 months.
- Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support: if you're actively engaged with an adviser in returning to employment.
- Universal Credit: You need to have been claiming for three months and actively searching for work.
You can then travel at reduced rates in London when looking for work.
How much do I save?
If you have a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card you can:
- Pay child rate for cash single and return tickets on the Tube, DLR, London Overground and National Rail services.
- Buy child-rate Day Travelcards for journeys starting from National Rail stations outside Zones 1-9 (plus Watford Junction). You can then use them in all zones covered by the Travelcard.
- Get your discount entitlement added to an Oyster card and you can also.
- Pay as you go at half the adult rate
- Buy child-rate 7 Day, monthly and longer period Travelcards and Bus & Tram passes (the longest period you can get is three months).
- Get discounted Day Travelcards if you're starting your journey in Zones 1-9.
- Get discounted Group Day tickets.
How to Purchase?
You need to go to your local Jobcentre Plus to apply for a Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card.
If you only buy cash single and return fares, you can start using your Jobcentre Plus Travel Discount Card as soon as you get it to travel at child rate.
If you want to use Oyster to pay as you go or buy Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season tickets at half rate, you must register your Oyster card and get your discount entitlement added to it.
Adding your discount entitlement to an Oyster card
If you want to use Oyster to pay as you go or buy Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season tickets at half rate, you must get your discount entitlement added to an Oyster card and register it before you use your discount.
Take your photocard to any Tube station, London Travel Information Centre or Oyster Ticket Stop and get an Oyster card if you don't already have one. You will need to pay a £5 deposit.